Sunday 13 March 2011

SPORTS

My one issue with Cape Town has been viewing sports.  When I go to the gym, the thing that is always TV is cricket.  What I have learned thus far about this sport is that currently the World Cup is happening, the pitchers can bounce the ball to the batter, and the team up to bat stays there for an extremely long time.  Soon I will look up the actual rules.  The second sport that is huge with South Africa and UCT is rugby.  I actually have been enjoying the sport; it takes a real man to play this game.  Finally soccer.  All the bars in Cape Town play soccer.  The other night, the big game was Arsenal vs. Barcelona.  The bar in town was packed due to this fact.  While all these new sports are great to watch and learn about, I miss my American sports.

First off I dodged I bullet that the Bears did not make the Super Bowl.  If they did, I would have been walking around the streets at 2am trying to find a bar playing the game. Second, I have been going through SportCenter withdraw.  Everyday this Christmas break my routine would be to watch SportsCenter in the morning and see the Top Ten plays and stay up to date on the current news.  While here I have to relay on ESPN.com, which isn’t terrible, but just and adjustment.

The most frustrating thing however, has to be the fact that I have not been able to watch a Bulls game since I have been here!  Over Christmas break I got really into basketball because I would watch all the games with my ex-boyfriend and now I can’t watch any ☹. American Basketball is one sport they never play at the bars, and with the Bulls being second in the Eastern Conference and just having a huge win over the Heat, I want to watch them more than ever!  The first good news I have heard in regard to sports was that there has been talk with the local bars in getting them to show the NBA playoffs. I would be forever grateful if this happens, and would stop complaining about the lack of American sports in Cape Town!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any idea if there are any bars playing the NBA playoffs? It was bad enough to miss the Mavs-Lakers, Heat-Celtics, and Heat-Bulls, but I really want to see some of the finals.

    ReplyDelete